Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Some sons do av em...

annoying mothers! I swear if I hear one more snipey comment from Mrs M Snr I will inevitably blow my gasket! Here are a few of her pearlers:

1. "Your not going to actually buy that house are you?" (the house we have rented and lived in for nearly 3 years and love)
2. "There aren't many good schools near you at all. You know education is important." (again, r.e. the area we live in)
3. "Would you like it if I lived next door to you. Alex's mum is lucky isn't she, being next door" (self-explanatory)
4. "Sheila is so lucky to have so many grandchildren. It really completes a family. Would you think about going on holiday with us?" (r.e. us not having any children)
5. "I hope your not too soft and that money is shared equally" (r.e. Mr M earning/having more money than me and her clearly thinking I am a money-grabbing bitch).
6. "Do you make any decisions or is it the woman ruling the roost?" (erm, again needs no explaining.)
7. "It must be lovely to have a daughter, sons are not close to their mothers" (nice right?)
8. "I hope your not wasting money on things for the wedding that are uneccessary?" (when we chose not to have the brother amateur photographer do our pics)
9. "Why is it when you come to us your always working first but not when your with Alex's family" (referring to us working christmas day, er it's our first with them and we only had one with my family.)

They are a few of them, I can't be bothered to list them all. I have various comebacks for these comments which I have never been able to say to her yet. They are as follows.

1. Yes, we probably will buy the house we live in and love and have done a lot of work in, and can't imagine living anywhere else. Just because it is in an area you think it rough, it isn't and we are so not moving near you.

2. We are not having children. That is all.

3. I would like it if we lived at opposite ends of the country at times. So no, not really next door, my mum keeps herself to herself and is nothing but lovely. No swapsies.

4. It really doesn't complete a family if you don't want them. Wait until she has 5 screaming, running riot kids on hol with her...she won't be laughing then. And no, a million times no, we will not holiday with family.

5. How bloody dare you?!!! We split everything we pay and I buy my own things a lot of the time and when David buys me things it is always his choice not forced on him. I have brought my own salary into our house and resent someone saying I will rob their son blind, this is the man I love.

6. He is a man. Of course he makes decisions. Doesn't mean they are always right and that we go along with them, but he can make them. A partnership normally involves joint decision making. Look it up.

7. It must be lovely to have a mum who doesn't criticise everything we do, want, or say and to respect our opinions and life choices and support us. And to say you are not close to the son who visits every other day, rings every day, goes shopping with you and eats with you relatively frequently...is hurtful.

8. There is no waste of money when it comes to the wedding. Everything has been carefully considered and spent wisely thank you very much. Would you be this concerned if you were not giving us a large amount of money? It won't be going on the wedding anyway thank you very much.

9. It is the first year we are going to your house for christmas, we have only gone to my families once, and had one on our own. I suggested coming to your house, your other son and his wife have never spent a christmas with you in five years but when we announced we were coming suddenly they are too. Now you upset because we are having to work and they will have to wait all day to see us and eat and you will just warm our dinner up. That is really mean. And nobody said they had to be there all day, they could come for tea time and eat all together if you really thought about it. Maybe it will teach them not to try to score points by coming for christmas just because we are. This is the last time we will be coming, from now on it's just us.

And there we have it, like I said there are many more comments and some worse than others but now it has changed how I feel about her and I will be so much more guarded when we are together. What a shame.

1 comment:

  1. Oh lady I hear you. Although sadly it be my own mother. If I could call Bean's mother my own and not be all worried about the incest I would!

    ReplyDelete