I love my little chocolate girl. We have just had a half hour curled up on sofa together all snuggly, she is so delicious.
She is now laid with her toy in her mouth falling asleep.
I cannot imagine our home and lives without her but sadly I know one day it will come. I just don't think you can prepare for that loss. I have never had a close bond with an animal before, certainly not ever had my own so it will be a huge gaping hole she will leave (yes I have just watched Marley and me again hence the death talk).
People who don't have pets don't get it and I think that when the time does pass people will have usual comments such as *it's only a dog*, but to be honest those kinds of people clearly don't know me or how much David and I, and our family, adore this little bear.
She wasn't as terrible a pup/dog as Marley by any means. She did chew a whole load of stuff up during her early months, and she took AGES to housetrain. Our first house stunk of dog pee until we took the carpet up and put flooring down. She also spent her first 2-3 years permanently ignoring us when out walking and just blatantly running in the opposite direction with a cheeky look on her face.
But when she got to about 4 she really settled down and came into her own, a wonderful comapanion full of love and cuddles. She is fantastic with the nieces/nephews and never barks, jumps up for anything, ever. I literally had to teach her to bark on command she is that mute. My oldest niece thinks of her as her best friend and I dread to think how it will affect her life, she has grown up with her.
Little bear is just over 6 yrs old now, she has arthritis resulting from a fall down the stairs when she was 2 and had surgery. She takes long term anti-inflammatories for it and has done a long time. We take her on plenty of hols and walks near the water which she loves. I like to think she has had a great life full of love and not being on her own too long at once. In David I found a great dad for her, and she dotes on him like you wouldn't believe. He does everything with her and she loves him to death, she pines for him when he is at work and when it is nearly his home time she sits by the door ready with her toy to great him.
I don't think I could ever have another choc lab after her, it would be nothing the same and I just don't think I could. I would never say never to having another dog full stop, but not for a long time. It is tying and I don't think you know how much until you have one. I wouldn't swap it for the world though and we are lucky enough to have parents that can look after her during work hours and the odd weekend away.
And that's it. I just thought I should write a little about her. She is my star. xxx
This post made me tear up. We have a golden retriever. By we, I mean she's with my parents as she's the family. She is adorable and wonderful, and turned 7 last week which always makes me think: she's getting old. We had a scare a few years ago where we nearly lost her, twice. People who've never had pets don't get it, and I can't bare to think of coming to visit my parents and not have Tia going crazy over me because "You're finally home, and I missed you and oh...oh...oh...look at my new toy!" She does this pleased little growl/whine and a 'bum dance' where she waggles around on the floor, desperate to jump up at you, but knowing she's not allowed to.
ReplyDeleteI will probably get another retriever, probably another golden retriever, not to replace her, but just because their personalities fit so well with the kind of lifestyle I have. And they are just the sweetest, loveliest, friendliest dogs you can meet. I hope you have a great many more years with your Chocolate Bear.